Home College Football Georgia State Beats Up Army 31-14 At Michie Stadium

Georgia State Beats Up Army 31-14 At Michie Stadium

Courtesy of Georgia State University Communications

West Point, NY—-Army (1-3) rushed for 354 yards on the ground and controlled the time of possession (38:55) but lost 31-14 at Michie Stadium to the Georgia State (1-4). It was the Panthers’ first win of the season.

The Panthers received the opening kick, driving into the red zone before a Leo Lowin sack led to a field goal for Georgia State. After a lost fumble for the Black Knights on their opening drive, the Panthers reached the red zone for a consecutive drive. Facing a fourth and short at the five-yard line, the Black Knights defense held Lowin on a rushing his attempt.

Quarterback Darren Grainger ran for a touchdown and threw for another as he shredded the Army’s defense in the air. He was 8-12 for 157 yards and ran for 48 yards.

Michael Hayes field goal opened the scoring, a shanked punt gave the ball back to Georgia State at the Black Knights’ 38 with Grainger scoring on a 13-yard QB keeper. Jamyest Williams’ 33-yard sprint up the middle was good for a 17-0 halftime lead after Army turned the ball over on downs.

The Black Knights made some adjustments coming out of the break, with a Tyhier Tyler 36-yard rush setting up a first and goal after Ay’Jaun Marshall 15-yard run. Tyler went on to score with a 1-yard keeper to make the score 17-7 with 10:32 remaining in the third. 

Army’s offense got it going on their ensuing drive, marching 13-plays, 80-yards which was also capped off by a Tyler TD run, taking it in from 5-yards out to trim the lead 17-14 early in the fourth quarter.

Tyler had 110 yards rushing on 19 carries.

With Georgia State holding a 17-14 lead in the fourth quarter, the Panthers stopped Army on fourth down inside the one to preserve the lead with nine minutes to go in the contest and then stopped the Black Knights one more time on fourth down with three minutes left.

The GSU offense took over at midfield, needing one first down to seal the win, and on 3rd-and-5 at the GSU 43, Grainger hit Darren Ja’Cyais Credle down the right sideline for a 57-yard touchdown and a 24-14 lead with 2:59 left.  

Tucker Gregg and Williams each rushed for over 100 yards, and the Georgia State defense came up with a huge goal-line stand in the fourth quarter to seal it.

“It was a great way to win,” head coach Shawn Elliott said. “We faced some adversity in the second half and we had to dig down and find out what we’re made of to make a stop. They had about six inches to go for that touchdown. Then to see us finish the game offensively the way we did, it was a great way to finish.

“We still have a long way to go, but what you saw out there today was what I had envisioned for our first four contests.”